.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This & That

The name for this blog was inspired by “One-eyed Jack” Williams who had a radio program in Phoenix, Arizona about 35 years ago.... His “Quarter Hour of This and That”. Everyday he started out the program with the statement. “It is a beautiful day in Arizona and I suggest, leave us all enjoy it.” It did not mater if it was raining or sunny, in the middle of a sand storm or cold and miserable. It was always a beautiful day. It is still my favorite way to start the day.

Name:
Location: Baños de Agua Santa, Tungurahua, Ecuador

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Why is Health Care So Expensive...maybe we are to blame.

I have felt for a long time that if we treat someone like an invalid we will soon have one. No matter the age. And the doctors are treating us as if we were all sick and in the process, making many dependent on all sorts of medicines that probably were not needed and as a result, driving many to the poor house.

For one, I have always had an aversion to doctors....and to lawyers. I just want as little to do with both professions as I can. I have probably been to see a doctor less than 20 times in my life. And I believe, that fact. has kept me from being one of the many who are addicted to all sorts of medicines and drugs. I know there are times when we need a doctor. If you break something you need to get it set....but most of the people who live in the developed countries, go to the doctor at the least discomfort, looking for that fix that can make us feel good again.

I read somewhere “A physician must have compassion and ethics. If not he is nothing but a simple charlatan.” I believe there are many charlatans out there and it is time for us to stop running to the doctor each time we have a pain. At the same time the doctors need to treat with compassion and ethics and stop looking at their patients as money trees where they can practice, at times useless surgery to keep us alive a few months longer no mater what pain and suffering is caused to the patient and the family.

Because the doctors are not God, they sometimes make mistakes. This opens the door for the lawyer to do their part in driving up prices. So maybe we have ourselves to blame. If we stopped demanding so much we could save a great deal of pain and suffering and die when our bodies shut down and while we still had a little self esteem. and dignity.

Roberto.

2 Comments:

Blogger kljokjjlkjlk said...

Healthcare is expensive because it's not socialized medicine. Capitalism is bad for healthcare and the studies are out there to prove it. There was a major study done in Canda that showed that a significant cost was due to the overhead of upper managment, advertising, marketing and other such things. I learned this recently. Thought I'd pass it on.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to a young couple from Bolder, Colorado at the Internet Café and restaurant where I hang out here in Baños. The young women was a massage therapist and was into natural medicines and made a statement that people are really in control of their own bodies. Needless to say, I agreed and she went on to say that in China, families hire doctors to keep them well. They pay him for doing this job and it works out well for both. The family has less suffering and the doctor has less work.

If I didn’t learn anything else today that would be enough.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home