.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This & That

The name for this blog was inspired by “One-eyed Jack” Williams who had a radio program in Phoenix, Arizona about 35 years ago.... His “Quarter Hour of This and That”. Everyday he started out the program with the statement. “It is a beautiful day in Arizona and I suggest, leave us all enjoy it.” It did not mater if it was raining or sunny, in the middle of a sand storm or cold and miserable. It was always a beautiful day. It is still my favorite way to start the day.

Name:
Location: Baños de Agua Santa, Tungurahua, Ecuador

Friday, September 10, 2004

Return to Nature...at least for a day or two.

This is a page from a book by Helen Hunt Jackson, the book titled Romana and was published in 1884.
“After two days in the canyon, the place had become so like a friendly home that she dreaded leaving its shelter. Nothing is stronger proof of the original intent of Nature, to do more for man than the civilization in its arrogance will long permit her to do, than the quick and sure way in which she reclaims his affection, when by weariness, idle chance, or disaster, he is returned for an interval to her arms. How soon he rejects the miserable pretenses of superiority, make-shifts of adornments, and chains of custom. “Whom the gods love, die young,” has been too long carelessly said. It is not true, in the sense in which men use the words. Whom the gods love, dwell with nature. If they are ever lured away, return to her before they are old. Then, however long they live before they die, they die young. Whom the gods love, live young forever.”

When I read this a few days ago, my mind wandered, remembering many special times when I had spent time with nature, sleeping under a canopy of stars and miles away from civilization. No phones, no radios, the best tasting bad food and delicious coffee, with grounds in every sip. Returning home was also a treat to be savored. The hot shower, the flush toilet, the soft bed.

Living or dwelling with nature as the author suggests, does not mean that we need to give up all of our comforts and live without shelter, but every once in a while it behooves us to take the old sleeping bag out of the closet and treat ourselves to a night or two under the stars...just to keep things in perspective.

Roberto

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whom the gods love, dwell with nature. If they are ever lured away, return to her before they are old.

It is a haunting passage, Roberto.

Although I sleep inside on a bed each night, every day I wander around my ranchito, 'dwelling with nature'. Since I was 16(I'm now 52) I resisted almost every hour I was forced to live inside a building during the day. Although for many years, for work, indoor living was part of many days a week.

Thankfully now about 22 years ago, I made my move to a lifestle that daily embraces nature. There's the gardens, the orchards, the meadow, the animals, the creek, the forest....the lakes and rivers if I want to walk or drive five minutes. All daily work revolves around the natural world.
Actually I am retired from work outside the home, so it can be so...in Canada and in Mexico.

There's no going back to life before this time. Wendy.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love "Ramona." As a teenage boy I fell in love with Alessandro the Indian. By the time I was 30, I had four copies on "Ramona" in my bookshelves. Why, I don't know. I just couldn't past a copy up when I found one in a used bookstore somewhere.

As an adult, I moved to San Diego, where so much of the story takes place, and kept on lookout for locations from the novel. I found a few, I believe.

Now, I am retired and living in Costa Rica. Nature is all around, in great abundance. My joy each day is taking another country road for my walk, discovering new fauna and flora all along the way. Watching the clouds roll in as the day reaches early afternoon, then rushing home ahead of the rain (usually), and then watching the magnificent thunderstorms bring chaos to the environment - only for a little while. An hour or so later, the rains are slowed and the birds cannot wait for it to stop for them to begin their fluttering and singing among the trees and flowers.

"Whom the gods love, live young forever." Helen, you continue to live young. Rader.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home