.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This & That

The name for this blog was inspired by “One-eyed Jack” Williams who had a radio program in Phoenix, Arizona about 35 years ago.... His “Quarter Hour of This and That”. Everyday he started out the program with the statement. “It is a beautiful day in Arizona and I suggest, leave us all enjoy it.” It did not mater if it was raining or sunny, in the middle of a sand storm or cold and miserable. It was always a beautiful day. It is still my favorite way to start the day.

Name:
Location: Baños de Agua Santa, Tungurahua, Ecuador

Friday, September 24, 2004

Opinions and Judgements

Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but we all need to remember that that is just what they are opinions. Some opinions are based on research and thoughtful study. Others seem to be knee-jerk reactions to bits and pieces of news that are caught on the fly. Still others are based on deep seeded prejudices.

I have had opinions that I was sure were correct, based on the best information that I was privy to at the time. Later, when I finally learned the rest of the story I had to back-peddle and rethink the situation. How many times do we jump to conclusions and embarrass ourselves and other by speaking too quickly. I remember a time when I took an inter-city bus in Mexico at rush-hour. The bus was already full so I paid my fare to the driver and boarded through the back door. Each stop brought more construction workers and we were quite literally packed in like the proverbial sardines. I glanced over to the next-to-the-last seat and saw this blonde woman sitting on the aisle seat with the window seat vacant. I began to wonder why she did not move over and let someone else sit down. I formed an opinion that this woman was probably protecting herself from having to sit next to a Mexican construction worker. At each stop, I was getting more upset. I finally reached through the bodies and tapped her on the shoulder and asked her why she didn’t move over to allow someone else to sit down. She looked at me and said she couldn’t because there were grocery bags on the seat. I answered back rather shortly...”put them on your lap”. She looked at me and said...”they aren’t mine”, It was then that I noticed the young Mexican girl sitting in the seat behind polishing her nails with another bag at her side and I realized that the bags on the seat in front were hers. The exchange was in English, so not many understood my remarks, but I felt very bad for the lady that I had embarrassed.

Roberto

1 Comments:

Blogger Rik said...

you're writing is aweome!
------------------------------
[My blog][avatars and funny stuff]

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home